History

Lower Slaughter is a rural parish in the heart of the Cotswolds.

The village is located just off the ancient Fosseway, three miles south-west of Stow-on-the-Wold and north of Bourton-on-the-Water. Its eastern and southern boundaries are formed by the rivers Diklers and Windrush. The river Eye, more commonly known as Slaughter Brook runs through the centre

The Slaughters Country Inn is located on an area formerly known as Washbourne’s Place which took its’ name from the family who owned it in 1470. The building was originally divided into three farm-workers cottages with a stable block.

In the early 1920’s the cottages were converted into one large private house before it became a boy’s cramming school for Eton. The boy’s assembly and dining room were located in our bar area, the Westbury room was the headmaster’s office. The barn building was a recreation area, with the upper floor covered by a large model railway.

For some years Washbourne’s Place reverted to private ownership and in March of 1988, the house opened as a hotel becoming Washbourne Court.

As Washbourne Court the hotel has undergone several changes of ownership and was most recently purchased by Andrew and Christina Brownsword in 2011. They fell in love with the charm of the property and immediately saw the potential to develop a more traditional country Inn ambience. In September 2012 the hotel became The Slaughters Country Inn.

  • Book online or call 01451 822143


  • Christmas 2014

  • New Year Celebrations 2014

  • Seasonal Dining

  • Events Diary

  • Gift Vouchers

  • Register for The Slaughters Inn newsletter